The Studio integrates with Google Analytics (GA) to provide a free and easy way to track user engagements within Experiences. With our GA integration, you can track actions down to the object level: including Image, Button and Action components. Data such as time on page, sessions, average session duration, average page views and more can also be tracked.
Enabling Google Analytics Within an Experience
- Identify your GA Tracking ID - Navigate to Google Analytics → Admin → Tracking Info → Tracking Code (ex: UA-000000000-0)
- In your Studio file, select “Google Analytics” in the Analytics Type drop down
- Input your code into the Tracking ID field
- GA will begin tracking data with our default values
All Components that support GA tracking will have the following icon under Component Details in the upper righthand corner.
Note: This tab will only be visible if GA has been enabled under Analytics Type.
There are three categories to label events – Event Category, Event Action and Event Label.
- Event Category is the name of the Component being interacted with.
- Event Action refers to what type of action occurs when the given Component is activated.
- Event Label is the URL where that action leads.
By default, these categories will be labeled in GA according to our naming conventions, but all three categories are customizable to fit reporting needs.
If there are multiple Experiences to track, GA Dimensions and Macros can be utilized to pass back additional information to help differentiate data. See our List of Macros to view available Macros.
Some sample key data points that can be tracked are mTAG ID, Venue Name, UPC, EPC, and product size, color and description. These need to be configured in GA under Admin → Custom Definitions → Custom Dimensions.
Tip: Include mTAG ID (object ID) to track activity on each object individually, and be sure that the Dimensions Index from GA matches the Index number in the Studio.
To view GA Dimensions in Google Analytics, go to Secondary Dimension → Custom Dimensions. Click here for more information on GA Custom Dimensions.